School is Open
School is Open
 
Springs Valley
Community Schools
Toggle Mobile Navigation
  • Textbook Rental

Textbook Rental

Dear SV Parents and Guardians:

At the April 2019 school board meeting, the board approved a plan to change the amount that Springs Valley Community Schools contributes to student textbook fees. Prior to 2008, parents were responsible for 100% of textbook fees owed. From 2008-2019, parents had no textbook fees. Due to funding changes, Springs Valley Community Schools can no longer contribute the full amount of student textbook fees.

Springs Valley Community Schools receives state and local funding to help offset textbooks fees for students who receive free/reduced meals. The balance of textbook rental costs, after deducting those payments, has historically been fully paid by Springs Valley Community Schools. For students who do not qualify receive free/reduced meals, Springs Valley Community Schools has paid the entire textbook cost.

Beginning in the 2019-20 school year, parents/guardians will be responsible for 30% of unsubsidized textbook fees. This means that the family of a student who receives free or reduced price meals will be charged 30% of the cost left after state and local funding has been received. SVCS will cover the remaining 70%. The family of a student who does not receive free/reduced meals will be charged 30% of the entire textbook rental fee, with SVCS paying 70% of the bill.

Consider the following examples (sample numbers used, actual numbers will vary):

  • · A student who receives free or reduced price meals has a total textbook fee of $140.  State and local funds pay a total of $130.89. The remainder is $9.11. The parent/guardian will be responsible for 30% of $9.11, or $2.73. SVCS will pay the remaining $6.38.
  • · A student who does not receive free or reduced price meals has a total textbook fee of $140.  The parent/guardian will be responsible for 30% of $140, or $42.00. SVCS will pay the remaining $98.00.

The amount that parents are responsible for will increase yearly as indicated below:

2019-20:               Parents/Guardians 30%, SVCS 70%

2020-21:               Parents/Guardians 40%, SVCS 60%

2021-22:               Parents/Guardians 50%, SVCS 50%

2022-23:               Parents/Guardians 60%, SVCS 40%

The new fee structure will be in place during the registration process beginning in July. Please contact the school office at 936-4820 (elementary) or 936-9984 (jr./sr. high school) if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Trevor Apple, Superintendent
 
    • Administrative Office

      Springs Valley Community Schools
      498 S. Larry Bird Blvd.
      French Lick, IN 47432

      Dr. Trevor Apple, Superintendent
      Phone: 812-936-9984
      Fax: 812-936-9392

      Jr./Sr. High School

      Springs Valley Jr.-Sr. HS
      326 S. Larry Bird Blvd.
      French Lick, IN 47432

      Mr. Kyle Neukam, Principal
      Phone: 812-936-9984
      Fax: 812-936-9266
    • Elementary

      Springs Valley Elementary
      356 S. Larry Bird Blvd.
      French Lick, IN 47432

      Mrs. Renee Childress, Principal
      Phone: 812-936-9984
      Fax: 812-936-9788

      Our Mission

      • INSPIRE creative learning
      • PREPARE accountable & responsible citizens
      • ACHIEVE more by reaching higher
      • SUCCEED in building a stronger community


      Connect With Us

      Watch our videos Youtube    Follow us on Facebook    Follow us on Twitter    Follow us on Instagram
  • Location

Skyward
Announcements
Food Service
Athletics
Shop
Tech